claim

Mercedes E63 AMG Estate 2011

The new E63 is Merc’s AMG-powered middleweight and follows a tried and tested plan: massive V8 + sober saloon = autobahn domination. Well that’s the speculation, and this can be the truth.
So in the week it’s the E-class’ flip to possess a go along with the six.2-litre V8?

Yes, Mercedes likes to unfold the bhp love around and thus it’s no surprise that the shortly once the discharge of the regular E-class, we’re currently being offered this: the AMG-fettled E63, a circa £69k businessman’s hot rod.

It’s running a similar naturally aspirated engine that every one non-V12 AMGs have used since Merc ditched the previous supercharged five.5-litre V8. It generates 518bhp and four64lb ft of torque – around 10bhp up on the previous E63 and enough to push the 1840kg E-class to 62mph in 4.5sec. And it’s slightly greener this point, recording 22mpg, a 2mpg improvement, whereas CO2 emissions drop from a terrible 341g/km to a faintly less terrible 295g/km.
Forget the figures, tell me concerning the E63's noise!

It’s indecent, a correct solid, metallic V8 throb. Twist the key to begin it and you get an honest flare of revs before it settles all the way down to a meaty idle. Nice, however at low speeds it looks like a typical low-revving V8 with some free-flow pipes on it. This engine very revs, and after you extend it towards 6500rpm and listen to the onerous bark filtering through into the cabin, that’s after you it very apprehend that this can be no standard Benz.

Porsche vs AMG – sixteen August 2011

I went on the launch of the Panamera V8 S with the PDK gearbox a handful of years back and came back to a small degree lukewarm. however the opposite day I returned the manual version and, wow, what a car. The engine’s sleek, the steering’s nice, and it’s very, very sweetly balanced – it’s such a lot higher than the so much pricier and heavier Turbo. At £77k, it’s additionally similar cash to the E63, that feels lots additional raucous, and quite to a small degree clunkier after you drive the 2 back-to-back.

Problem is, the Panamera could be a heap less sensible – the boot is small, and also the rear seats are hardly generous. provide me one road and I’d take the Panamera; provide me a year and I’d take the Merc.

Our E63 meets Mikko – four August 2011

I got a decision at short notice a bit whereas back. ‘Fancy interviewing Mikko Hirvonen,’ said the person from Ford Motorsport. Yes, said I. ‘And, erm, are you able to provide Mikko a carry to Heathrow airport when you’re finished?’ Cue the marginally bizarre scenario of me folding my two-year-old’s pushchair up and dropping the E63’s rear seats to squeeze within the huge bag Mikko takes with him to WRC events.

Mikko’s not vastly into his new automotives – he loves previous Fords and yankee V8s – however once a short while sitting in London traffic he said ‘This could be a nice car.’ Then, once I gunned it a bit to change lanes, he realised it sounded juicy too. ‘Nice sound,’ he said. ‘How powerful is it?’ Over 500bhp, I replied. By then we tend to were on a pleasant quiet little bit of motorway, thus I found myself within the slightly disquieting position of flooring it with an infinitely higher driver than me sitting within the passenger seat whereas my kid’s pushchair rattled around within the back.

An impressive dealer expertise – twenty five July 2011

I'm forever to a small degree skeptical concerning main dealers, however when the onboard laptop flagged up an impending service at twelve,000 miles, I booked the E63 into Robinsons Mercedes-Benz in Peterborough. it had been a genuinely spectacular expertise. once one phone decision, the receptionist addressed me on email (much additional convenient), forever remembered who i used to be, got my automotive booked in at a time that suited me and offered to either choose my automotive up from work, or to convey me a loan automotive for the day.

I went for the loan automotive, to hopefully avoid the dealership noticing the motoring journalist link.

I mentioned that the passenger-side wing mirror was creating a graunching sound because it folded in automatically once I turned the automotive off, and also the service technicians noticed that my rear brake lights were staying on for a fraction too long.

Unfortunately, the elements for each jobs weren’t accessible immediately, thus I had the selection of leaving the E63 with the dealership and keeping the loan automotive, or bringing it back in another time.

I selected to re-book the automotive in and each gremlins were sorted. Total price? £269. i feel that’s pretty affordable considering i used to be provided with 2 loan cars with ample fuel, and my very own automotive was absolutely valeted (twice), re-filled with screenwash and, let’s not forget, topped up with oil.

I additionally came within the automotive to search out a pleasant very little brochure, that puzzled if i would have an interest in a number of the enticing deals that Robinsons were giving on new AMGs. It simply felt sort of a terribly joined up, well thought out, well run organisation.

A naturally aspirated six.2-litre V8 vs a twin-turbo five.5-litre V8 – nineteen July 2011

No, I haven’t moved to Germany and re-registered my E63 – this can be a snap from the launch of the new, improved E63, the headline of that is that the addition of the new five.5-litre bi-turbo engine. All things thought of, it’s a triumph – it’s twenty second additional economical, still sounds nice and it’s faster too, with a true thump to the mid-range. The turbos additionally bring the likelihood of simple tuning, that AMG has capitalised on – 30-40% of consumers are spending around £6.5k on the Performance Package, boosting the new car’s figures from 518bhp and 516lb ft (versus 518bhp and 464lb ft for my naturally aspirated six.2) to 549bhp and 590lb ft.

The only draw back with the new turbocharged engine is that it doesn’t sparkle as brightly at the highest finish and doesn’t rev as highly – i used to be denied a downchange a couple of times, once I apprehend my automotive would have indulged me.

I additionally need to drive the automotive on target, where it felt like downshifts were being denied – however typically they weren’t, it had been as a result of the engine thusunded so similar between around 5000 and 6000rpm that I couldn’t truly tell the distinction.

But if I had to decide on one or the opposite, I’d vote for the new five.5.

It was additionally fascinating to check a handful of spec variations on this take a look at automotive – it didn’t have the expensive Alcantara covering on the rooflining, pillars and sun visors, and, actually, it didn’t spoil the atmosphere quite the maximum amount as I expected.

The take a look at automotive was additionally fitted with the optional carbon ceramic brakes. Now, I’ve forever thought the quality E63 brake pedal could be a very little spongy at the highest, and I’ve felt the stoppers going off {a couple|a few|one or 2|a handful|some} of times once some admittedly terribly onerous cross-country runs late in the dark – not stunning during a automotive weighing nearly two tonnes. I didn’t get to drive the automotivebon-equipped car as onerous or for as long because it took my very own brakes to wilt, however I did notice that the brake pedal still felt a bit spongy in traditional use. Provisional verdict? continue the almost-always-up-to-it six- and four-pots that you just get from the factory.

0 komentar:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites